Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Evening snack: Dhokla

Dhokla is a traditional Gujrati (West Indian) snack famous for its sweet and sour taste. It is a fluffy sponge like bread normally made with fermented chickpea flour. It is normally served with some coriander/mint chutney. I have not had Dhokla a lot, me being from Southern India and all. The most clear memory of  having Dhokla was actually after I moved to the US. One of my then room mates was an amazing cook and she had made it one evening. Today, I used the instant Dhokla mix that can be bought at most Indian stores.
Instant Dhokla mix
There are instructions on the box, but I did add a few of my ingredients to make it more flavorful. I added ginger paste, yogurt, oil and some water to make a paste. I made sure that the mixture was not too watery. I then transferred it to a container and then steamed it. You can also use a microwave if you prefer. But, you will have to be careful to cover the container as the microwave can easily dry out your Dhokla.
For the tadka/ dressing, I used mustard seeds, some green chilies, curry leaf, asafoetida and some cilantro.
Fluffy Dhokla all dressed!
Ready to eat!:)
Enjoy! Have a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment