Monday, January 28, 2013

What's Cooking?: Gajar ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa)

Hello all! I know my blog is new and I really have not perfected it. So, I keep thinking of new ways to make it better. From now on, I am going to have a 'what's cooking' segment where I will share my food recipes. Also, I want my posts to have more flow and I will share some tips that I have learnt from better cooks than me.
I made Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Halwa last week when I went to see my sister in New Jersey. Is everyone like me? I tend to cook a lot more when I have people around. It is my way of showing love. Also, it helps when there are people to actually eat your food and shower you with compliments;). Anyway, here are the ingredients that I used:
Carrots- 7-8.
Cashew nuts- 10-12
Ghee- 3 table spoons
Milk-1 cup.
Sugar-1-2 cups.

First, grate the carrots thinly. This is the most tedious part of the whole recipe. My sister did this all on her own. She is such a doll. Heat up the Ghee in a deep dish. Add the cashews and carrots and cook till completely done. Make sure that you do not taste the rawness of the carrots. This might take a while. Then add the sugar and milk and cook till the milk is completely absorbed by the carrots. Serve warm or cold.
I try to add as little sugar as possible as I don't like too sweet desserts. But, you can definitely add more or less sugar based on personal preference. Also, addition of little more ghee will improve the taste but will also increase your waist line;)

Enjoy!
Gajar ka halwa!

No comments:

Post a Comment